Saturday, May 10, 2008

Morals in "Les Miserables"

A long week, less schoolwork to do and getting your feelings hurt by a "friend" all contribute to deeper, more complex thinking. What with me trying out for the show next month I thought alot about the individual characters and the show as a whole, and the lessons taught in it.

For instance....

Jean Valjean is a convict sentenced to jail for stealing a loaf of bread. He stole it because his sister's son was near death; he broke a windowpane and grabbed the loaf from the windowsill. Understandable motive, no? I suppose; furthermore, Valjean's decisions many times benefit a certain party but not another. Such as, during the French Revolution Javert disguises himself and almost leads the rebels into a decision that will, most likely, lead them to their death. But he is found out and Valjean asks that he take care of Javert. Instead of killing Javert, which would most definitely benefit the rebels, he lets him go in order to spare Javert--and honor God.

" VALJEAN
We meet again.

JAVERT
You've hungered for this all your life;
Take your revenge!
How right you should kill with a knife!

(Valjean cuts the ropes which bind Javert.)

VALJEAN
You talk too much,
Your life is safe in my hands.

JAVERT
Don't understand

VALJEAN
Get out of here.

JAVERT
Valjean, take care!
I'm warning you...

VALJEAN
Clear out of here.

JAVERT
Once a thief, forever a thief
What you want you always steal!
You would trade your life for mine.
Yes, Valjean, you want a deal!
Shoot me now for all I care!
If you let me go, beware,
You'll still answer to Javert!

VALJEAN
You are wrong, and always have been wrong.
I'm a man, no worse than any man.
You are free, and there are no conditions,
No bargains or petitions.
There's nothing that I blame you for
You've done your duty, nothing more.
If I come out of this alive, you'll find me
At number fifty-five Rue Plumet
No doubt our paths will cross again. "



Which led me to Javert....Javert is a man who believes that once you are the path of good or evil you cannot stray away towards the other. He doesn't believe in redemption nor forgiveness.

" He knows his way in the dark
Mine is the way of the Lord
And those who follow the path of the righteous
Shall have their reward
And if they fall
As Lucifer fell
The flame
The sword!"

No comments: