Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

I had a GREAT day yesterday! It started out not too well, though-I woke up at 3 a.m. and kept thinking of the scary parts in Prince Caspian (I saw it last night - it was good, kind of depressing in a certain way, but still good) and the Orcs and Uruk-Hai in LOTR (I know, I know, I'm a wimp =P) and then I had to get up early to take a shower (I hate showers. I don't know why. But I hate them). But then me, Mom, Dad and Evan (Laura is at a retreat for youth group) went to the Memorial Day parade, where we honored those who have fought bravely for us:
The Marines themselves.
The Geneva High School marching band. They played some nice patriotic songs for us all.

Then we walked down to where a ceremony was being held. They had a prayer (I am so glad they are able to do that here) and talked of local veterans, then the band played more songs and we left on account of the heat (YAY!!!). We walked around I just LOVE downtown Geneva. Fortunately, we found a "new" candy store that was actually a bigger version of the old one that I thought had closed down. We had gone there so much the shopkeeper actually recognized us!!!! We got some ice cream and candy, then Mom and Dad had to get a bathtub for Laura and I since ours broke (???) at Lowe's while Evan and I went to Meijer to pass time. For dinner we had homemade fried chicken along with coleslaw and baked beans. It was such a great day!

The ceremony was at a cemetery, and though I don't know these people, I love the picture:
*************************************************************************
I was thrilled to find two friends in separate window wells:
Meet Peregrin and Meriadoc!!! :oP

I'm just so thrilled the toads are back. To me, they truly epitomize summer and it would never feel quite the same without them. I let them go in the backyard and they were so happy =P

Silly little Meriadoc kept sliding back trying to climb out. See evidence here:




Hehehe :o) Have a great week all!!!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Homemade fried chicken? Yummo! And cute toadies!